About two weeks ago I went to Bruges to visit a friend who moved back "home". I say "home" because if you once lived abroad you know home is relative.I have never been in Belgium before. So that was my chance. I couldn't have been prepared worse as it should show...
Actually it started quite chaotic. My plane supposed to leave Saturday morning at 6.45 am. So imagine, I had to get up at - yes: 4 o'clock! Everybody who knows me knows I hate getting up early.
As always on Friday evening after work everybody went to the "2 for 1" bar. I knew it wasn't a good idea but I still couldn't resist.I agreed with a friend to have only one "2 for 1", I still had to pack my bag... It would have actually been easier to go from the bar directly to the airport because we work nearby, but I decided to be a good girl and not to show up completely drunk at my friends house the next day and annoy my neighbour on the plane by throwing up onto his lap....
Of course I had more than one "2 for 1". And honestly I would have probably had a few more if my friend wouldn't have dragged me home.... Ok, home at about 11.30 pm I finished packing at about 00.30 am. So, 3 and a half hours to go. Does it make any sense to go to bed at all? I thought and went to bed.
I paid a fortune for the taxi ride to the airport the next morning, unfortunately metros start at 6 am. As I looked at the taxidriver I knew he ripped me off (and he knew I knew) but what could I do against the number on the taximeter, say it was wrong?I checked in in about 15 minutes (I have never been so fast in my life) and than tried to take a nap in the fast food restaurant nearby.
In Brussels I took the train to the center where I met Ilka. Ilka was late. Normally I am late, I hate waiting.
After a warm welcome we took the train to Bruges.
Belgium is a very small country (even smaller than Switzerland if that's possible at all...) so in an hour ride you nearly cross the whole country.
My first impression of Bruges was: What a wonderful charming little city!!! It was love at first sight if I can talk of sight at all because it was snowing when we arrived and I could hardly see my hands in front of my face. I love snow so I was delighted. Unfortunately I couldn't convince my feet to be happy as well, they were frozen. No wonder, sneakers are not really the appropiate shoes for snow.
After changing my thin Spanish winter coat (Ilka wouldn't leave me go out with it) into a warm skiing jacket we - a Belgian and a Swiss supposed to be used to the cold - took a ride by bike back into the nice little town. You have to know: Ilkas parents live about 20 minutes from Bruges.
I probably don't have to point out I was half-frozen as we got back home in the evening. I had to take a hot shower of about half an hour (my boiler in Spain would've been empty after max. 10 Minutes) to warm up again. But it was great, I love the feeling of beeing in a warm and cosy home while there is a snow storm going on outside.Needless to say that Ilkas mothers is probably the best cook in Bruges. Would I have stayed longer you could have rolled me home....
What a wonderful city! I will definitly come back, but next time in summer :-)
Thanks Ilka for your hospitality! I really enjoyed it. And remember: you are always welcome in Switzerland.
1 comentario:
well, so very, very up to date it´s not - your life, right...?!
Visit me at www.thorestephan@blogspot.com.
Publicar un comentario