Rain is something wonderful. I love it. The special smell before it starts raining is unrivaled. It's a mixture of gunpowder and rotten eggs. In Switzerland this smell is followed by heavy rain which washes out the streets and lets people run faster trying to find shelter before they get completely wet. Swiss don't like to open their umbrella if it's not raining cats and dogs. They try to avoid it as long as possible, because carrying a wet closed umbrella when getting on the tram or buying food at Migros is even more unpleasant...Here in Madrid it's different. I have actually never really seen heavy rainfall. It does rain now and then but this unforeseen bursting out of the clouds is unknown here (as well as the smell before and after). Nevertheless the Madrileños love umbrellas! I would say they are addicted to them. They carry them with them whenever the sun is not shining and they open them at the tiniest spit. I mean, I don't like to get wet either, but is it really necessary to open an umbrella when the sky decided to drip a bit??
Yes it is! And dripping is not even necessary, a wet street or a neighbour with open umbrella is proof enough. It's as if an open umbrella is contagious...
I never understood, but let me think, maybe the rain is not the main reason for opening an umbrella. Maybe it's because an umbrella is a wonderful weapon! What for? To make your way through the heavy crowds in Madrids centre!!
Ahhhh, I am going to carry a weapon with me too next time...!!!
No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario